Saturday, September 15, 2012

what's a coot?

There are at least two potential definitions for the blog's chosen name:

coot
  1. any of a genus (Fulica) of ducklike, freshwater birds of the rail family, with long-lobed toes
  2. an amusing or eccentric old fellow
Although I may have been a bird in a past life (if you believe in such things and I was once a Buddhist you know) I can assure you that my toes are fairly normal in length, not to mention that I'm from the furred rather than feathered line of warm blooded creatures.

Although I'm not sure if she was kidding when she made the suggestion, Mrs Coot told me it would be greatly helpful to include illustrations . . . 
Flock of American Coots in a marsh 
(Picture courtesy of National Digital Library of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service)
Solitary coot (male) on a beach
The solitary (crippled) coot is found in a wider variety of habitats than the "other" kind of coot (feathered), and the solitary coot's plumage is far more variable.  
Female coot on pebbled lake shore
At the end of the day I know for a fact that I'm a bit eccentric (as noted in the second definition.)  From there, I'll leave it up to you to decide if anything here is amusing . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment